Wednesday, May 12, 2004

"Fierce Women"

Wherever you find yourself in this world, there will be fierce women to leave an impression on those in her wake. My mother was my first example of a fierce woman. She is, with all due respect, a class-A bitch. She demands to get what she deserves, and does not take respect for granted... she sets an example for me, and it has helped me to be respectful, assertive, confident and demanding. Through her influence, I can be expected to treat everyone with the same respect that I expect from others... the golden rule.

In the financial district, there are women whom I have observed to be extreme examples of fierce. It is their body language that transcends the flow of people and captures my attention, never their spoken word or attention towards me. On one occasion, I spotted a woman at the bagel store preparing her space at the window ledge where she was planning to consume her breakfast. The breakfast consisted of a tall cup of steaming coffe and a whole wheat bagel, toasted and plain. When her bagel came up, I observed her taking it excitedly to her space, where she began to tear of pieces while focusing her attention outside the window to the hustling business world awaiting to be conquered.

The way in which she stood there, one foot propped on the ledge below her feet, tapping it rhythmically, eating her plain toasted whole wheat bagel and sipping her coffee, I interpreted her thought process. She was in the process of mentally psyching herself up for an agressive day of business wheelings and dealings. She didn't have the air of an executive... rather she was much more down to earth. I could see her as an assistant manager of a department in a much larger organization, or perhaps the executive assistant to a real mover and shaker. Regardless of her position, she felt confident in her ability to make this day a great day.

Yesterday, I crossed paths with an old woman who look horribly aged, to the point of fright, with her skin sagging and eyes beady and mean. She could have been anywhere between the ages of 55-85, but despite her age, she moved quickly and assertively. She paced once in front of the Walgreens where I saw her, and intensely took a final drag off her cigarette before she threw it aggresively on the ground outside the entrance. She then swiftly turned into the store, and walked out of my sight. Her movements were so fluid, and so effortless, that it gave her the appearance of grace, despite her ragged appearance and menacing eyes. I don't think that she really noticed me, since I was but another pedestrian passing by, but I noticed her, and she left quite an impression on me.

Such is the nature of fierce women... they leave a wake wherever they pass.