Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Perfecting the Art of Being

Where to begin - the art is a life's journey, a continuous process in learning and experience. I am reading this incredible book called "Island" by Aldous Huxley, and it blows my mind at times... there is some obvious Huxley flavors to this book; for example, his appreciation for hallucinagenics is clearly a part of his utopia as described in these wonderful pages. It's interesting to read the materialization of somebody's image of perfection... or more appropriately, near perfection. I think back to Atlas Shrugged, and the future civilization of industrialists exiled from society by their own volition to pursue a better world without the obstacles of ignorance. I think of what society would be like if one were to combine Rand's industrialist community with Huxley's utopia on the island of Pala - meaningful ambition.

My spiritual brother in new jersey is my filter for all the wonderful literature tackling philosophy, theology, spirituality, self-awareness, appreciation for art and beauty and nature, and of course, love. Yet love is engrained in all that brings us meaning. He is out there filtering the yoga of literature, and I am the one blessed with his insight into great works of literature, music, art, and the life and experience that he shares with me.

"Be the change you wish to see" - Ghandi