Monday, December 29, 2003

A Dollar a Day

Each day, we are given a new basket of eggs to distribute. We can choose to arrange them in baskets as we did the day before, or we decide to redistribute the eggs. Some mornings, we wake up and realize that we have fewer eggs today, whereas other days we wake and know that we will have extra eggs. How does it feel to invest all your eggs in one place?

Asking myself the question as to where to spend my dollar today, I begin to spend my dollar, two cents at a time. I don't keep count of the money, but I know that by the end of the day, I will feel my pocket lighter, and will need time to replenish the content.

We grow spiritually, physically, emotionally... and each of us is an investment for others. We receive the eggs that other people choose to deposit in our basket, and it goes towards that greater process of self-growth through which we learn how to grow our stock of daily eggs. The more you give, the more you have to give.

I like the analogy of spending that dollar each day. It reminds me to worry less about the two cents, reminding me also that my two cents may be worth 10 cents, or 50 cents to the right audience. It is impossible to know the value of that impression on others. As much as 2 cents can be so much more valuable to somebody, my 50 cents may be wasted on others.

Spend your pennies wisely...